Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Faking It

In the past month I have crammed a ton of Christmas related activities into my family’s free time in an attempt to bolster our spirits and make this holiday one to remember.

We made ornaments, bought presents for each other, bought presents for children we don’t know, decorated our home, watched movies, sang carols at the top of our lungs in the car, attended multiple concerts and programs at area churches, toured neighborhoods known for their garish light displays, and went to parties, parades, and festivals.

Yet last night as I hurriedly drove to get to another festival it hit me — I am faking it. I am faking having a Christmas spirit. You could put an army of elves on shelves and have the Sugar Plumb Fairy dance straight through my front door and though I would smile and enjoy the show, deep down I would know it’s all a facade.

Realizing that I’m faking it, I discussed it with my husband and we decided to pass on the festival planned for the night and enjoy a night in instead. It was so restorative to eat dinner around the table as a family, talk about the day each of us had, and snuggle with the kids on the couch for the evening.

As we snuggled, I started to think of what that first Christmas must have been like when Mary snuggled with her baby. Cold. Dark. Quiet. Simple.

Sure, I had Christmas spirit, but it was anything but simple. In my attempt to create a holiday to remember I distracted myself from what the true Christmas spirit really is.

The true Christmas spirit doesn't end on December 26. It isn't identified by red and green decorations. It is living out the character of Christ all year long. It is "...standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel." (Philippians 1:27 NASB)

One Spirit. One mind. Together.

If there was ever time to stand together in our faith it is now. This world is terribly broken. I can only imagine what it would be like if everyone would embrace true Christmas spirit and lived it out everyday of their life. I'm going to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment